The door in my wardrobe*

*the door not actually being there was a disappointment - but at least I was allowed to play with the clothes

//// Woven front latex leggings

Posted on | August 25, 2009 | 17 Comments

I openly admit that I’m very inspired by the both queens from Kingdom of Style — and there is at least one thing I share with Queen Michelle: the love for legwear. She recently introduced two fabulous pairs of Black Milk leggings — on which I will definitely splurge when the time is right. But right now the budget is really an issue for me, so I decided to shamelessly rip off the Spidermans.

tanSM1

The idea of Spidermans is actually quite simple. The leg is slashed from the front to slices that probably narrow down just a bit when going downwards to the ankle. Edit. taking a look to the original, no they don’t. I guess that the original version is different in that way that there are actual cutouts between the straps, so there is less material on the woven part. But I don’t actually mind about the slight extra coverage in the front, so I will be happy with my version as it is. Then the fabric strips are woven together in a very simple way, for a knitter the technique is instantly clear if I say that the loops form a single vertical column of stockinette stitch.

Even if you are not a knitter the technique is extremely easy to learn and a pair of leggings is “knitted” in a matter of minutes.

Here’s a short illustrated tutorial how to make your own webby woven/knitted leggings.

Take a pair of leggings, preferably size or two larger than you usually use — the technique takes off some from the leg circumference. Or make sure that the material is extremely stretchy. I used a pair of 15€ Gina Tricot latex look leggings. They are not particularly stretchy, so I took a pair of size XL (I usually use size M leggings from GT).

Fold the leggings carefully so that the inseams are together and the leg folds neatly from the front and the back — like you were about to make front creases for the leggings. I did not use any pins to secure the folds because latex surface is easily broken, but if you use some less delicate material it is better to pin the legs together –and even iron the fold lightly. Just don’t do that on this kind of plasticky ones!

wowen-slicing

I used rotary cutter to slice the front of the legs. Start somewhere from the upper part of thigh (or why not close from the waistline — I left the leggings uncut from the top, though. Cut relatively close to the inseam but be careful not to cut over it. I did this freehand but you can make a guide from cardboard if you don’t trust your skills on cutting neat strips. I also gradually made the straps slightly narrower when going towards the ankle. The difference is not huge, but it is there. Note that all “making of” pictures are overexposed to get some detail out from black fabric.

wowen-slicedwowen-sliced2

The straps are neatly on the front leg.

wowen-smallhole

Now cut a small opening up to the thigh, above the straps and on the middle of the thigh.

wowen-firststep

Start weaving. Pull the first strap through the small opening from the inside out. Now you have a small loop in your hand.

wowen-secondstep

Pull the second strap through the loop, from the inside out. And you have again a loop.

wowen-weaving

Continue pulling the next strap through the loop until you reach the ankle. Don’t pull the last strap through the loop (the one with edge seam, fastened with a pin on the image below). Does not look too fancy right now, but trust me, they look totally different on!

wowen-allway

Secure the last loop by tying some strong yarn from the loop and around the last ankle piece. It should look like this. You can also sew it on place with few stitches, but I was not in a mood for sewing today.

wowen-finishwowen-onbarelegs

Put the leggings on. You can still adjust the width of the openings cutting them more open with scissors. I opened the knee area a bit more, it gave a better line for my leg. I probably will open them all just a little bit more.

And I totally agree with Queen Michelle, these are excellent piece for layering! Here just on bare legs, though… I’d bet that these would be very useful in different colours, I’m thinking nude or some sort of dusty dove grey. And pair of matte black cotton ones would be fab, too. Maybe there could be even several woven columns of fabric, how cool would that be?

Discussion

1. Anna
    August 25th, 2009 @ 9:32 pm

Tosi hieno DIY-työstö! Kiitos myös yksityiskohtaisista ohjeista; tätä voisin ihan mainiosti kokeillakin (vaikka muuten niin laiska käsityöihminen olenkin).

2. kitty kitty
    August 25th, 2009 @ 10:47 pm

Those are just to cool for words. Thanks so much for sharing the how too.

I love them.

3. sugar kane
    August 26th, 2009 @ 12:25 am

WOW! Thanks, I’ll Cut&Copy.

4. Kamicha
    August 26th, 2009 @ 8:07 am

Kiitokset itsellesi kommentista, kokeile ihmeessä!

Thanks girls, just wipe the dust off from your scissors!

5. Vimps
    August 26th, 2009 @ 12:51 pm

Vauuu! Voi jee, miten mielettömät sä oot noista leggareista saanut askarreltua-paskarreltua!

Mutta mä taidan olla aivan liian laiska edes yrittämään moista. Ellen sitten psyykkaa itseäni, hmm.

6. All black with shiny leggings : The door in my wardrobe
    August 26th, 2009 @ 5:05 pm

[…] DIY woven leggings over cheap matte nylon leggings, 2or+ cotton tunic/dress with cascading asymmetric cut, H&M […]

7. Ashley G
    August 26th, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

I absolutley LOVE these!!! Would you consider making some for a profit? Let me know at dancer0351@yahoo.com

8. Aridith
    August 27th, 2009 @ 1:05 am

Wow. Sweet and wild!

9. andrea
    August 28th, 2009 @ 1:05 am

Awesome! I came over from Kingdom of Style. I wanted to try to DIY these as well, and I saw your response “as a knitter…” …I see what you mean with the stockinette; very simple to do with a crochet hook! Thanks so much for your clear tutorial. :D

10. Kamicha
    August 29th, 2009 @ 11:09 am

Vimps: nyt vaan itseä niskasta kiinni! Tämä on niin helppo tuunaus, että vahingossa teet jonkun toisenkin samalla vauhdilla…

A,A & a: thank you!

11. Kb
    September 7th, 2009 @ 2:02 am

I love these, thanks for the tutorial!

12. Kialy
    September 7th, 2009 @ 10:03 pm

guh…! Black Milk!? Too Many Tights!?

13. carlyjcais
    September 8th, 2009 @ 7:00 am

WOW! You did such a fabulous job! I shall have to try this now!
    (If you’d like to check out my DIY’s…none on leggings, yet, sorry…check out my blog at

Anyway, your leggings look awesome!
    xoxo
    Carly

14. Ciara
    September 9th, 2009 @ 7:27 pm

This is such a FABULOUS idea!!!! Great job! I’m definitely going to try this out. I was thinking it might be interesting to use the same technique on other fabrics… I’m thinking a variation might be interesting on baggier jeans… hmmm, the possibilities! Thanks!

xoxo

15. Harnessed in Ann Demeulemeester way : The door in my wardrobe
    October 25th, 2009 @ 4:14 pm

[…] Zara printed silk dress (in need of ironing, but hey I was not going anywhere with these, anyway), DIY leggings over black sheer tights, leather MC jacket from Ellos, Rützou wedges. Could well go to the bar in […]

16. Cecilie
    December 7th, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

Waw… those are absolutly amazing!!!

17. woailuo
    May 4th, 2012 @ 9:12 am

Christian Louboutin Shoes Replica in the minds of many
    Wearing high heels is bound to play on the women’s buttocks, legs, waist shaping and a prominent role, will make more beautiful female curves. Female the most attractive .Christian Louboutin Ankle Bootspart is also to be high heels highlights. of these parts. High heels can make a woman exudes sophisticated charm. Women choose to wear high heels, often have realized that many men do not know what has a stron.Christian Louboutin Bootsg interest on the heels, wear high heels can easily. complete conquest of many men, can easily get to the worship of many men , can easily make many men excited. Need to do all this the price is only wearing a pair of hig.Christian Louboutin Eveningh heels, why not Able to realize that these wome. n to men and men of a certain understanding of the psychological degree of certainty, because of a mature woman will choose high heels, high heels has become a sym.Christian Louboutin Flatsbol of a mature woman (in this case refers to the p. sychological maturity ). In the eyes of men, women wearing high heels will greatly increase the charm of a mature woman! High-heeled shoes Three high-heeled shoes.Christian Louboutin Mary Jane can increase height, can increase the beaut. y of slender build. For women in the general prevailing height is lower than the general male height, high heels can be extended from the perception beauty body is tall body makes women full of greater charm. There is a misunderstanding in the minds of many people, high heels to add height, in fact, wrong. Be able to tell from the above discussion, high heels can increase the charm of a woman in many ways. Not the only diminutive female personnel to wear high heels naughty tall women can wear high heels to add their own charm, as long as she Buzhi Yu Gao too exaggerated (more than 1.75 meters, wear high heels there is 1.85, exaggerated, and lost beauty) completely according to their highly selective wearing of 10 – 16 cm high heels, more than 1.70 can also choose at least 5 – 10 cm high heels.

What do you think?